Wednesday 17 October 2012

Just call me nurse mummy!


'Mummmmmyyyyy I don't feel well'.




Dealing with poorly children.

So it feels like both my girls have been constantly tag teaming me with their illnesses since the end of August. So much so that I have only had one full week with them both in school and nursery at the same time. It started with the chickenpox in one then the other then allergic reactions, sickness bugs - both girls, urine infections, throat infection, chest infection. Then tonight so far youngest has been sick 7 times arrghhhh! The eldest went to bed not right and looking very pale and tired too. I hope they're not going to do a tag team again.

Having sick kids and chronic illness yourself is this gives you no time to rest yourself. School/ nursery time is when I rest and try and get things done but this doesn't happen when they are poorly. It always seems to coincide with when you have lots on or to do. For example I am back at the hospital again tomorrow and Evie is due to go on Friday for her ADOS (Autism) assessment . Bad timing! Nothing for it but to stick on your nurses hat and become nurse mummy for as long as the illness takes.



There's a reason why pencils have rubbers on the end! With Fibro it's always good to write in pencil.

Planning.                         

It's important to remember with chronic illness is that you can plan but sometimes you have to revert to plan  B or even C and sometimes you plans have to be cancelled all together. I try and be flexible with my plans and be realistic!


It's that time of year when people start to mention that C word. Yes I am talking about Christmas. Learning to pace is also about learning to plan ahead. So my planning has begun. I want to be organised and not have everything left to the last minute as there always seems so much to do and organise for Christmas. I love Christmas it's my favourite time of year it means I can enjoy the magic of it with the girls.

I start buying presents throughout the year when I see a good bargain I can't resist. I do the same for birthdays. I have got some lovely trips out with the girls planned for over the festive period as part of their presents. These are mainly the theatre as it's something do able for all of us and we all love the theatre!




I actually look forward to the planning of Christmas and looking out for various activities for the children to go to. I am a big kid really and still love going on the sleigh ride at the local co-op shop. It's been around for years since I was a kid and brings back some lovely memories - I remember really thinking we moved!





The cloak of invisibility.


Having a chronic hidden illness often means that people think you are taking the p*ss. The British Government has got people into the mentality of thinking that we are all work shy scroungers that live up the high life. This has in turn led to the public seeming to think they can question and basically hound those that are disabled. Just because people don't 'look disabled' doesn't mean they are not. It seems as if you are young especially you become 'fair game'.

                                                 

Questions.

So tonight I was posting on one of my groups and we were talking about Adenomyosis and Endometriosis, Someone wanted to know what these were and what the difference is between the two. I thought that seeing as that question came up on there it may come up on here so I will answer it especially as I am having some more investigative work done in this area. Unfortunately you've probably guessed by now that it is another thing linked to Fibro, it seems a lot of things are! 

                                                                                                           

Endometriosis
This is a long term chronic condition in which small pieces of the womb lining are found outside the womb. This could be in the fallopian tubes, ovaries, bladder, bowel, vagina or rectum. The symptoms of the condition vary from person to person

Symptoms include:
  • painful or heavy periods
  • pain in the abdomen, pelvis or lower back
  • pain during sex
  • bleeding between periods
  • fertility problems
  • pain when urinating
  • bleeding from the back passage
  • bowel blockage (if the endometriosis is in the intestines)
  • coughing blood (if it's in the lung)

    The pain severity is not based on how much you have but on where in the body you have it.

Adenomyosis.

This is uterine thickening that occurs when endometrial tissue that normally lines the uterus moves into the outer muscular walls of the uterus.

The symptoms include:
  • Heavy or prolonged periods
  • severe cramping or sharp knife like pain during periods
  • Period pains that last throught your period and get worse as you get older
  • pain during sex
  • bleeding during periods
  • Passing clots during your period
  • Uterus may double or triple in size - you may not notice this but your lower adomen may get bigger or feel tender.

What's the difference?         

                                                                                      
Endo is basically outside the uterus and Adeno is in the uterus.


                                 

'Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain but you can't have a rainbow without a little rain.'


Thinking on the positive.           

I think when you have chronic conditions it is important to look at the positives in your life. It's these things that you need to draw on when things get a little tough. It can be far too easy to get into negative thinking patterns. I always try to look to the positives when I can and I think this is extremely important when you are a parent.

I would say the biggest positive and inspiration in my life is my family. The girls never fail to make me smile whether it's things they say, do, or achieve. Take tonight for instance Lillie gave me a little note. It read:

To mummy I love you very much you are the best mummy.
Love Lillie and Evie xxx


It's the little things that make it all worth while seeing the smile on your children's faces give you the strength to keep going and keep fighting illness.

I am thankful for what I have, yes I may have this illness but I still have the ability to smile and I can learn to adapt to what life may throw at me!


                             













No comments:

Post a Comment